Skitouring Kamchatka / Russia, April 2009

Who wants to come along, I am looking for participants for skitouring in Kamchatka.

Kamchatka is one of the most varied and active volcanic regions in the world. It is a 800 mile (1300 km) long peninsula in the easternmost part of Siberia, separating the northern Pacific Ocean from the Sea of Okhotsk
We will do ski mountaineering tours to several volcanoes. It’s a private organized tour. I prepare the trip together with a Russian guide, we are on tour also together with a Russian mountain guide.

Preliminary program from 5th to 18th April

Day 1/ Arrival. Elizovo (private flat)

Day 2/ With a truck 6x6 (if the road is guaranteed) or with ski-doos (if the road is doubtful) as far as the foothills of Vilyuchinsky volcano. Stay in tents / messing tent. So . days 8-9-10 could be planned there (?)

Day 3/ Depending on the weather. Climbing north-west couloir if the weather is not favorable.
Under favorable weather . climbing Vilyuchinsky (on the last 300 m . crampons).

Day 4/ Just to the north of Vilyuchinsky is the ridge consisted of old extinct volcanic cones, as well appropriated for skiing. Exploration of this territory.

Day 5/ Way back, Paratunka

Day 6/ Return to Elizovo either with a truck 6x6, or with ski-doos. Hot springs. Rest.

Day 7/ With a helicopter to the west foothills of Mutnovsky volcano. There.s a hut owned by the Institute of Volcanology, it.s not surely new, but for 6 persons is still fine.

Days 8-9-10 could be planned there (?)

Day 11/ With ski-doos . back to Elizovo.

Day 12/ With a minibus to the west: ski-touring at the region of the extinct Vachkazhets volcano. Here is the landscape completely different (much more Alpine). With a minibus back to Elizovo.

Day 13/ With a minibus to the Pacific. Visiting Petropavlovsk and Avachinskaya bay. Return to Elizovo.

Day 14/ Transfer to the airport. Movie from a last visit. www.madmarmot.com/kamchatka.wmv

This is a private organized tour.
If you are interested please contact me.
Roland Dechant-Wagner, email: dechantw@arcor.de or cell phone: +49 175 57 83 396