Petzl Summit axe (rust ruille ruggine)

I’m writing in English as long as all the email and conacts with Petzl have been in English.

The story is about my new Summit (by Petzl) ice axe. It has been bought by my girlfriend as present for my 40th birthday. I stored the present in my armchair during the 3 week of summer spent « à la plage » and when I come back the blade was completely full of rust. So I firstly sent a messag of complain through their after sale form on the company website (http://www.petzl.com). The answer was quite dissapointing, so i made some pictures of the axe and I sent a second email of complain. In few hours with the proof of the entity of rusty parts I’ve been contacted by the aftersale department (both by email and on my handy) that offered a fast substitution of the axe. So, by now I’m going to give it back to the local reseller where it has been bought and it will be subject to the warranty issue. Good thing, thanks Petzl, another time it demonstrates a willing service (even if after two letters of complain…)

here following the mailing and some pictures.

FIRS EMAIL 01.09.2009
Franco Pecchio ha inviato un messaggio usando il modulo di contatto
http://www.petzl.com/it/outdoor/contact_info.

Type : individual.

Dear Sir,
I have recently bought an Ice axe of summit series (59cm): great tool with good grip and thin blade.
Unfortunately after a couple of days the blade shows signs of corrosion: it means there’s a thin layer of rust on it. It 's surprised me as long as
it has neve appeared on former models (I had been using and owning a Goulotte model in the latest 20 years). Is it normal? what should I have to
do to clear the rust and prevent further corrosion?
Second question, I’m looking for an appropriate dragonne for the ice axe: your model is shorter than the handle so it wouldn’t work perfectly when
holding the axe on its top down (ice climbing position): do you have former models that could better fit? Otherwise could you recommend a different way
to build our own dragonne?
looking forward to hering from you soon,
sincerly yours,
Franco Pecchio

ANSWER 01.10.2009
Hello
First, we have to apology for the late answer
The blade of our ice axes’ rang is made of high resistance steel without any specific treatment against corrosion. After utilization, you may see some traces of rust. This traces do not affect the mechanical resistance of the product neither affect the technical performances of the product.
To make disappeared the oxide traces, you may use an abrasive sponge to polish. Also, the traces may disappear on their own when used.
To prevent and limit the rust, we advice you, after each use, to dry you ice axe with a dry cloth. To get a better protection, we recommend you to cover the blade with a grass product such as silicone grease.
As we recommend in the technical notice, Petzl recommend storing their product in a dry and clean place, away from UV and chemical product.
Regarding dragonne, the two references that fit to the walking style ice axes are:
ANDO U82000
REGLABLE 68504
In practice, climber are using less and less dragonne
Staying at your entire disposal
All the best
[petzl logo]

SECOND EMAIL 28.10.2009
Dear Petzl,
may have I not well expressed my mind about rust on Summit ice-axe. I got the axe (actually it has been a present from my partner) and without any use it suddently (in few days) has become to present rust problems on the blade as well on the spade. It is not rust trace but the complete metal part is full of rust (see pictures). The number on the blade is 4073.
The axe holds still its brand etiquette but the metal is completely rust. It has been stored inside my armchair with climbing clothes and climbing gear (that are not rusted at all).

What disappoints me is that the other axes do not present any rust problem (see picture attached): my good companion Charlet Moser Goulotte (21 years old) and a Grivel Air Tech (4 years old) and a Petzl Aztarex (for ice climbing and mixte climbs purpose). I’m going to my local reseller to try to get the axe substitute with a new one that won’t have rust problem. I’m confident that in the meanwhile, in recent production, you have already solved these rust problems.

sincerely yours,

Franco Pecchio
(INSA - Instructor National of Ski Mountaineering at Italian Alpin Club,
moderateur pour l’Italie du website camptcamp.org)

ANSWER 29.10.2009
Hello
In such a case; please return your product for a warranty issue.
Please contact directly the Italian agent
DINAMICHE VERTICALI
Corso Lombardia 75
Autoporto Pescarito
10099 San Mauro Torinese
ITALY

· Tel : +39 011
· Fax : +39 011
· info@petzlitalia.it
www.petzl.it

Or return the product to the above address to my attention

Waiting for your return

All the best

THE PICTURES
can all be viewed on my flickr account

umilmente vorrei rammentarti che il forum è in italiano; ti permettiamo l’immodestia di sfoggiare il tuo inglese a patto che tu metta la traduzione a lato :slight_smile: