The website was updated on January 31[sup]ST[/sup]: New functionalities were added and several bugs were corrected.
Links to weather and avalanche forecasts
In any georeferenced document (region, summit, route, climbing site, access point, hut or outing), a link was added below the list of associated regions to weather forecasts and snow and avalanche bulletins (SAB) available for these regions..
The link to the SAB are only shown for ski- and snowboard-touring, snowshoeing, ice, snow and mixed alpine climbing and ice-climbing, between October 1st and May 31st.
In an outing, you will find:
- links to the current weather forecast (of the day the outing is read) as past archives are not available,
- for Switzerland, a link to the SAB of the day before the outing and the day of the outing,
- for France, Italy and Austria, a link to the current SAB (on the day the outing is read) as SAB archives are not available.
The SAB of the day of the outing might seem irrelevant as it gives indications on avalanche risks for the day after. However, it also gives an overview of the day’s snow conditions that can be very useful!
Subscriptions to avalanche bulletins
Don’t forget that you can subscribe to avalanche bulletins for France and Switzerland and receive them by email when they are published: http://www.camptocamp.org/users/mailinglists
The subscription management page was improved with this update of the website.
Number of associated routes and outings in the lists
- In the lists of routes and climbing sites, in the last column, you will find the number of associated outings as well as a link to recent conditions on the route or site.
- In the lists of summits, access points and huts, you will find the number of associated routes in the last column.
Expert links to lists of routes
In the summit, route, access and hut pages, next to each link to an access point, summit or hut, a link has been added to the list of routes that are actually associated to them. These links can be found under an 'i' that shows up when you pass the mouse over the name of the access, summit, etc.
For example, the page of the "Dôme des Ecrins" summit includes a list of the access points associated to the routes that are themselves associated to the summit. By passing your mouse over "La Bérarde" you get an 'i' at the end of the line. By leaving the mouse there, a pop-up window appears. By clicking on the 'i', you get a list of routes between La Bérarde and the Dôme des Ecrins. Same thing for the Pré de Madame Carles or the Temple Ecrins hut.
These links are useful for summits, access-points and huts that have dozens of associated routes.
When editing a document, in the buttons bar, several BBcode buttons have been added:
- the [c] tag: formats the text to appear with fixed width font type
- the [abs] tag (only in the "description" field): allows part of a description to be identified as a summary of the route, summit etc., in order to help user make a quick choice of objective.
These tags were already functional before the update. Only the BBcode buttons were added.
It is now possible to add videos in personal documents (outings in particular), using the [ video ]video’s url [ /video ] syntax.
Video hosting websites that work with camptocamp.org are Youtube, Dailymotion, Google video, Vimeo, Megavideo and Metacafe
Note that the same tags can be used in the forums.
Dates in the lists
The dates that appear in the lists of modifications (versions) have been made more relevant. For example, on January 1st, modifications made on December 31st will no longer appear as having been made “last year”!
Search and association of documents
Selection boxes for ranges, regions and countries
In the advanced search pages, as well as in the customization filters, the ranges, countries and administrative units (French departments and Swiss cantons) have been organized into groups so that they are easier to find.
As before, if you have customized a geographical filter the areas you have selected will appear at the top of the list.
Searches based on the name of documents (simple search on the top of the page or advanced searches) no longer take into account words like "of", "le", "la", "de", "des", etc. as well as brackets etc.
You can thus search directly for "pic chabourneou" or "aiguille scolette".
Name searches were already insensitive to capital letters and accents.
Search and association of other users
It is now easier to find another user using the search engines or for associating them to an outing. The search looks at both forum and guidebook names.
In the wizard as well as in the standard association tool, if a search produces too many results, but there is an exact match, then the match will be offered together with the usual message about the too many results.
In the case of association a registered user to an outing, this allows you to find someone whose nickname is "oliv" among hundreds of “Oliver”).
The lightbox for picture viewing and picture legends
There is now a direct link to the picture’s page in the picture’s caption when included in a document’s text and in the lightbox (pictogram: ). A direct link to the original picture is also available in the lightbox (pictogram: ). This makes it faster to reach a document, without having to scroll down to the bottom of the page where associated images are shown.
To avoid several of the minor mistakes that often block the upload of pictures, the number of characters in the picture’s name has been limited to 150 characters. Beware that the minimum is 4 characters.
Images associated to routes
The link to the "List of all associated images " in a summit’s page now also includes pictures associated to routes associated to a sub-summit.
Image categories: "snow and avalanches "
A new category was created: "snow and avalanches ".
Pictures or drawing to be included in the category include all those related to snow and avalanche science: snow and ice crystals, snow-pack, avalanches etc.
As well as the languages supported on camptocamp.org (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Catalan and Basque), it is now possible to add "other" if the book or source exists in another language (such as a Japanese guidebook).
The or the languages of books are shown in lists of books.
Books and regions
Since November 2009, a book’s page also shows a list of regions associated to the documents associated to the book (routes, summits…).
It is now possible to search for books on the basis of ranges, regions or countries. The regions are the same as those shown in the book’s page (see above).
Lists of routes, climbing sites and huts
In a list of routes, climbing sites or huts, the associated access points are listed in a specific column.
All the associated access points are shown. For each of them, the following information is displayed:
- name of the access and link
- altitude and minimum altitude
- type of public transport that can take you to the access point
Huts and valley accommodation
A new type of "hut" has been created: "valley accommodation".
This allows easier management of valley accommodation in the guidebook.
Any accommodation that can be reached by car or public transport is considered valley accommodation.
The list of routes associated to the access-point associated to the accommodation is show in it’s page. This way, as soon as a new route is associated with the access point, then it is automatically shown on the accommodation’s page.
Valley accommodations must not be associated directly to routes. Valley accommodations are not yet displayed on a route’s page (they will be later).
Bugs and other corrections
- the outing wizard now also works from the forums
- the left-hand side bar for hiding the left-hand side column didn’t work on the comments page of documents. This has been solved.
- the bar now works correctly with Internet Explorer 8. It has been deactivated with IE7
- several improvements were made to the design of the top part of the pages
- the AddThis button remains visible when the left-hand side menu is hidden (there is a small "+" below the menu)
- several bugs in the advances search filters were corrected
- the display of numbered lists has been improved
- several bugs related to automatic translations have been solved
- the button that gives access to personal messages now works with Internet Explorer 7
- in the image lists, the licence now appears correctly
- other varied bugs