Gruppo della Civetta

Posted as guest by Olibleau:

Sorry to let this message in English and not in Italian, yet a so charming langage I’d like to practice.

I’m looking for data about Eastern Dolomites, Civetta especially since my goal is to stay there for about two weeks next July in order to climb some routes alone or with a partner.
Starting by low grade routes (I could do in solo), my dream would be to do a classic like the Solleder if I feel able to and if I find a partner in situ.

Would somebody here advise me a good "guida libro " ? For instance what to think about
« Gruppo della Civetta » by Visentini ? Are the maps well done and the routes well described ?
And is there a way to purchase this book as a used article since its price’s pretty high (37 euros) ?

Last thing, where in the Web can I find detailed data about Rifugio Tissi ? Prices, pix, types of rooms
(how many posti letti by room ?).

Thanks for your help, Italian friends,

Olibleau

Hi Obli.

I dont’ know your climbing level, but be aware that the « Solleder@Civetta » is not considered an easy climb (I would dream of …)
There are several detailed climbs described in the Italian Alpine Club books « Guida dei Monti d’Italia ».
Dolomites itself are divided in 3-4 books. I will check which one is for Civetta.
Obviously the books are in italian …

I’m unsure how you could find them outside Italy, likely in the library of some Alpine Club in UK or US or call/write the publishing dept. at the main location of the Italian Alpine Club in Milano.

Maps: will you find plently and detailed in Italy; again unsure how to buy in advance

Rifugio Tissi: I’ve been there in … 1982, so better check again. I remember a rugged hut for serious climbers (i.e. Civetta NW) with a magnificient view.

Here is a link for several Dolomite’s huts (pages in italian) Ghiacciai rifugi Schtzhütten sentieri Stubai Zillertal
and specific comment for Tissi (in English) http://outside.away.com/outside/outside_traveler_2004/top_adventure_lodges_6.html

The hut belongs to Belluno’s Chapter of the Italian Alpine Club. Call them (Italy is GMT+1 Time Zone) at +39-0437-523083

Surf the net for more info.

Mad.

Posted as guest by bleauli:

Thanks for your response.
Of course I know the Solleder is still a severe route, what told me Guida Alpina Olindo de Biasi
who lead me last summer on the Torre Venezia (you can see pix on my blog olibleau : http://olibleau.rmc.fr/home/ ).

I think I have the level to climb the Solleder but it remains to get the training and be brave enough to go alone in such a route. If I feel it or if I find a partner to do it with me.

My goal is to stay for a week at Tissi in order to watch, study and train on easy routes the reason why a detailed topo would interest me a lot. So thanks if you can tell me more about this Guida dei monti d’italia.
And about Gruppo della Civetta, do you know if it’s worth to buying it ?

Are you Italian ? Where are you living ? and used to climb ?

Sincerely,

Olivier

Posted as guest by Mad:

I dont’t know the second book, Gruppo della Civetta but I know the Guida dei MOnti d’Italia is detailed and complete.

I’m living in Milan and I trek & ski usually in the Dolomites. Although I have some ice and rock climbing experience I’m not at the level of Solleder or Torre Venezia either.

Enjoy. Mad